Healthy Recipes for Meals and Snacks
The path to healthy eating can be easy and fun with delicious recipes from the YMCA of Central Florida! Browse our collection for nutritious tips and menu ideas that the whole family will enjoy.
Because the Y is here for you in spirit, mind, and body, we want to help you reach your wellness goals in the kitchen, too! If you need help with topics like dining out with confidence, how to read a nutrition label, or simply want to submit a recipe, contact Chef Gary.
About Chef Gary
Chef Gary Appelsies has been the Director of Healthy Eating at the YMCA of Central Florida since November of 2014. His passion for healthier eating has led him on a lifelong journey of helping people feel better through food.
Check out our latest blog articles by Chef Gary!
- Refreshing Your Family’s Healthy HabitsSeptember is Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, and as children and families (re)start their school-year routines, it’s the perfect time to reflect and refresh your family’s habits. As we’ve mentioned before, total well-being is about balancing nutrition and physical activity. For […]
- Getting Perfectly Grilled Fruits and VeggiesWhen most people think about grilling, they immediately turn their minds to burgers, hot dogs, steak, chicken, ribs, or some other type of protein. Oh, how that humble vegetable always seems to get set aside! Whether they become the hero […]
- Summer Foods to Help Stay HydratedDid you know that approximately 60% of our body is made up of water? Without proper hydration, our cells, organs and muscles (especially our heart), and tissues can’t properly function. While getting your daily servings of water can oftentimes seem […]
- Fine-tune Your Summer EatingCan you believe it’s already July? Time really does fly from that other “J” month that starts the year and gives us hope and promise of a “new year, new me.” Going into a new year with goals is great, […]
- Getting Started with YogaIf you’re thinking about adding yoga class to your fitness routine, you’re not alone! You might already have a wellness goal in mind like gaining muscle, losing weight, or becoming more mindful of your mental health. However, because there are […]
- Three Ways to Start Eating Healthier During National Men’s Health MonthJune is National Men’s Health Month, and guys, this blog is for you! It’s time to reconnect with your body, start eating right and get yourself on track for a healthier you. As I talk to my friends, family, and […]
- Better Us Challenge: RECONNECTAs a nonprofit organization, the YMCA of Central Florida is focused on strengthening the spirit, mind, and body of everyone in our six-county service area and beyond. That’s why we’ve created the Better Us Challenge, a free wellness challenge that’s […]
- What “Eating Healthy” Really MeansOn a recent visit to my doctor for my annual physical, I was asked if I eat healthily. My answer was, of course, a resounding “yes!” Then he proceeded to ask me a great question: “What does healthy eating mean […]