Healthy Recipes for Meals and Snacks
The path to healthy eating can be easy and fun with delicious recipes from the YMCA of Central Florida! Browse our collection for nutritious tips and menu ideas that the whole family will enjoy.
Because the Y is here for you in spirit, mind, and body, we want to help you reach your wellness goals in the kitchen, too! If you need help with topics like dining out with confidence, how to read a nutrition label, or simply want to submit a recipe, contact Chef Gary.
About Chef Gary
Chef Gary Appelsies has been the Director of Healthy Eating at the YMCA of Central Florida since November of 2014. His passion for healthier eating has led him on a lifelong journey of helping people feel better through food.
Check out our latest blog articles by Chef Gary!
- Three Ways to Start Eating Healthier During National Men’s Health MonthJune is National Men’s Health Month, and guys, this blog is for you! It’s time to reconnect with your body, start eating right and get yourself on track for a healthier you. As I talk to my friends, family, and […]
- Better Us Challenge: RECONNECTAs a nonprofit organization, the YMCA of Central Florida is focused on strengthening the spirit, mind, and body of everyone in our six-county service area and beyond. That’s why we’ve created the Better Us Challenge, a free wellness challenge that’s […]
- What “Eating Healthy” Really MeansOn a recent visit to my doctor for my annual physical, I was asked if I eat healthily. My answer was, of course, a resounding “yes!” Then he proceeded to ask me a great question: “What does healthy eating mean […]
- Grow Stronger this Summer with the YMCAThis summer, the YMCA of Central Florida is ready to serve you with a full lineup of fun and safe activities for your entire family so you can grow stronger and healthier together! From safety-enhanced Youth Sports, Day Camps, and […]
- Three Foods that can Help Power Your BrainAs I think about my family history, there’s a pattern of living long and being “sharp as a tack” as the saying goes. But why is that? Are there reasons that help people not only live longer lives but keep […]
- Diabetes Awareness and PreventionObserved every year on the fourth Tuesday in March, American Diabetes Association’s Diabetes Alert Day is meant to shine a light on the seriousness of diabetes, and encourage you to monitor your personal risk for this disease. Diabetes was first […]
- A Healthy Start to Your DayDid your mother ever tell you that breakfast was the most important meal of the day? My mom sure did… and all my friends’ moms did, too. According to an article by The Atlantic, though, eating too early in the […]
- Personalize Your PlateEvery March, we celebrate National Nutrition Month. There’s no “one size fits all” approach to better nutrition, but throughout the course of 31 days, we can prioritize restarting, refreshing, and renewing healthful eating habits. For many of us, food can […]