Healthy Recipes for Meals and Snacks
The path to healthy eating can be easy and fun with delicious recipes from the YMCA of Central Florida! Browse our collection for nutritious tips and menu ideas that the whole family will enjoy.
Because the Y is here for you in spirit, mind, and body, we want to help you reach your wellness goals in the kitchen, too! If you need help with topics like dining out with confidence, how to read a nutrition label, or simply want to submit a recipe, contact Chef Gary.
About Chef Gary
Chef Gary Appelsies has been the Director of Healthy Eating at the YMCA of Central Florida since November of 2014. His passion for healthier eating has led him on a lifelong journey of helping people feel better through food.
Check out our latest blog articles by Chef Gary!
- Eating Healthy in the New Year“New Year, New Me” seems to be the theme of January that many of us turn to year after year. For some, it works for many by the time February hits we slip back to old habits. The pendulum swings […]
- Stretching Your Holiday Food BudgetWe’re all trying to save money these days and during the holiday season, this could be something that many of us might find difficult. It’s not just shopping for holiday gifts, but our food budgets can get stretched thin as […]
- A Season of Good Food and Good HealthIt’s the 2020 holiday season and as December rolls in, my mind turns to all the yummy and delicious treats that abound this season! No matter what holiday you celebrate, this time of year is when we tend to spend […]
- Thanksgiving Slow Cooker Side DishesThanksgiving is right around the corner! Many aspects of this holiday will be different in 2020, but one thing that hasn’t changed is our plans to enjoy a delicious, filling meal. While the turkey is no doubt the star of […]
- Chef Gary’s Tips for a Stress-Free ThanksgivingThis year’s holiday celebrations may look quite different than they have in the past, and the thought of what to do and exactly how to do it is probably more stressful than ever before. There’s no denying that we’d all […]
- Finding Balance in FoodWelcome to the sixth and final week of the STRONG Challenge. Congratulations on all your hard work and accomplishments so far! This week we’re going to tie everything together by focusing on finding balance. You hear the term “balance” a […]
- Serving Others through FoodDid you know that one in six Central Floridians struggles with food insecurity? One of the simplest and most-needed ingredients in life is food—without it, we can’t survive. It gives our bodies the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients we need to […]
- Plan a PicnicThis week we’re venturing out to (re)connect with people, places, and feelings. We’ve highlighted a few ways to do that already—including no-screen activities and visiting nature trails in your area—and now we invite you to plan a picnic! Central Florida is […]