Healthy Recipes for Meals and Snacks
The path to healthy eating can be easy and fun with delicious recipes from the YMCA of Central Florida! Browse our collection for nutritious tips and menu ideas that the whole family will enjoy.
Because the Y is here for you in spirit, mind, and body, we want to help you reach your wellness goals in the kitchen, too! If you need help with topics like dining out with confidence, how to read a nutrition label, or simply want to submit a recipe, contact Chef Gary.
About Chef Gary
Chef Gary Appelsies has been the Director of Healthy Eating at the YMCA of Central Florida since November of 2014. His passion for healthier eating has led him on a lifelong journey of helping people feel better through food.
Check out our latest blog articles by Chef Gary!
- Three Foods that can Help Power Your BrainAs I think about my family history, there’s a pattern of living long and being “sharp as a tack” as the saying goes. But why is that? Are there reasons that help people not only live longer lives but keep […]
- Diabetes Awareness and PreventionObserved every year on the fourth Tuesday in March, American Diabetes Association’s Diabetes Alert Day is meant to shine a light on the seriousness of diabetes, and encourage you to monitor your personal risk for this disease. Diabetes was first […]
- A Healthy Start to Your DayDid your mother ever tell you that breakfast was the most important meal of the day? My mom sure did… and all my friends’ moms did, too. According to an article by The Atlantic, though, eating too early in the […]
- Personalize Your PlateEvery March, we celebrate National Nutrition Month. There’s no “one size fits all” approach to better nutrition, but throughout the course of 31 days, we can prioritize restarting, refreshing, and renewing healthful eating habits. For many of us, food can […]
- Keeping Your Heart HealthyYour heart is one of your body’s most important organs. Pumping 100,000 times a day on average, it’s essential for distributing the much-needed oxygen and nutrients to your cells and other organs. Yet, according to the American Heart Association, heart […]
- Reimagine Your PlateWhen it comes to improving your well-being, eating healthy is right up there with exercise. Making better food choices doesn’t mean bland, boring, expensive, or inconvenient meals and snacks. It means making sure you don’t cut out any of the […]
- Understanding Your Exercise Approach with The 8 Colors of FitnessThe 8 Colors of Fitness program was developed to help you understand the ways your mind and body respond to exercising. Other exercise programs may start with a fitness plan and don’t consider your unique requirements. With this program, you […]
- Tips for Sticking with Your GoalsStarting a new wellness routine can be a daunting task. You might not know how to make sense of all the different workout plans out there or simply be overwhelmed at the prospect of exercising again after not doing much […]