Healthy Recipes for Meals and Snacks
The path to healthy eating can be easy and fun with delicious recipes from the YMCA of Central Florida! Browse our collection for nutritious tips and menu ideas that the whole family will enjoy.
Because the Y is here for you in spirit, mind, and body, we want to help you reach your wellness goals in the kitchen, too! If you need help with topics like dining out with confidence, how to read a nutrition label, or simply want to submit a recipe, contact Chef Gary.
About Chef Gary
Chef Gary Appelsies has been the Director of Healthy Eating at the YMCA of Central Florida since November of 2014. His passion for healthier eating has led him on a lifelong journey of helping people feel better through food.
Check out our latest blog articles by Chef Gary!
- Managing COVID Fatigue/BurnoutFatigue is a common symptom for individuals who test positive for COVID-19; however, “COVID fatigue” is a symptom that seems to be impacting everyone, regardless of viral infection. According to WHO (World Health Organization), COVID fatigue is about feeling demotivated […]
- Get a Healthy Start to the New YearGet a Healthy Start to the New Year There’s a stigma out there that eating healthy is expensive, lacks flavor, and is hard to maintain long term. I like to subscribe to the idea that eating healthy is much easier […]
- Thanksgiving Slow Cooker Side DishesThanksgiving is right around the corner! While the turkey is no doubt the star of the show, don’t count out your side dishes. Sides can add a lot to a meal while only taking a little bit of effort to […]
- Appreciating Hispanic and Latin Culture and CuisineAs this year’s National Hispanic Heritage Month comes to a close, we can’t forget the flavors from around the world that, together, influence Latin and Hispanic cuisine. Before I dive in, let’s clarify the difference between “Latin” and “Hispanic” because […]
- Refreshing Your Family’s Healthy HabitsSeptember is Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, and as children and families (re)start their school-year routines, it’s the perfect time to reflect and refresh your family’s habits. As we’ve mentioned before, total well-being is about balancing nutrition and physical activity. For […]
- Getting Perfectly Grilled Fruits and VeggiesWhen most people think about grilling, they immediately turn their minds to burgers, hot dogs, steak, chicken, ribs, or some other type of protein. Oh, how that humble vegetable always seems to get set aside! Whether they become the hero […]
- Summer Foods to Help Stay HydratedDid you know that approximately 60% of our body is made up of water? Without proper hydration, our cells, organs and muscles (especially our heart), and tissues can’t properly function. While getting your daily servings of water can oftentimes seem […]
- Fine-tune Your Summer EatingCan you believe it’s already July? Time really does fly from that other “J” month that starts the year and gives us hope and promise of a “new year, new me.” Going into a new year with goals is great, […]