Seasonal - Summer / Soup
Creamy Summer Tomato Soup
Tools You'll Need
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cutting Board
- Chef’s Knife
- Food Processor, Food Mill, or Hand Blender
- Large Stock Pot or Dutch Oven
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 large vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped (approx. 4-5lbs)
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¾ cup heavy cream, (optional)
- Chopped fresh Basil for garnish
Heat olive oil
Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat.
Sauté onions and carrots
Add the onions and carrots and sauté for about 10 minutes or until tender.
Stir tomato paste
Stir in the tomato paste and cook until onion and carrot are coated and tomato paste begins to turn color.
Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
Add tomatoes, sugar, vegetable stock, salt, and pepper and stir well.
Bring the soup to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the tomatoes are tender.
Add the cream to the soup if using.
Puree soup using a food processor, hand blender, or food mill. If using a food processor, be sure to puree soup in small batches.
Reheat soup over low heat just until hot and serve with julienned basil leaves.