Seasonal - Fall / Soup
Sweet Potato Soup with Apples and Fennel
Tools You'll Need
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cutting Board
- Chef’s Knife
- Vegetable Peeler
- Heavy Stock Pot
- Immersion blender, Food Processor, or Blender
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, quartered, fennel fronds reserved for garnish
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable stock*
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a heavy stock pot over medium heat.
Add the shallots and cook until translucent, stirring continually, for about 3-5 minutes.
Add the garlic until it just begins to release its aroma, being careful not to burn it.
Add carrots and cook for five minutes, stirring often, until they start to turn soft and tender.
Add additional ingredients
Add the sweet potatoes, apples, fennel, stock, lemon zest, and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
Add salt and pepper to taste, cover and simmer for approximately 45 minutes or until all of the ingredients are soft and tender.
Using an immersion blender, food processor, or blender, purée the soup and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Serve and garnish
Ladle into bowls and garnish with fennel fronds.