Seasonal - Winter / Soup
Carrot Soup with Ginger
Tools You'll Need
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Chef’s Knife
- Cutting Board
- Large Stock Pot
- Hand Blender, Food Processor or Blender
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground dried coriander or dried cilantro
- 1 lb. carrots cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated for garnish (optional)
- 4 tablespoons non-fat Greek yogurt for garnish (optional)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish (optional)
In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom.
Cook onion and garlic
Cook the onion and garlic for 3–4 minutes, or until soft, stirring occasionally.
Stir in ingredients
Stir in ginger, lemon zest, and dried coriander.
Add carrots, stock, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Reduce the heat to medium and bring to a simmer.
Cook covered for 15–20 minutes, or until the carrots are soft and tender.
Using a hand blender*, blend the soup until smooth and stir in lemon juice.
Serve in bowls topped with 1 tablespoon yogurt, grated carrot, and cilantro.