Shrimp Fra Diavolo
Tools You'll Need
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large pot
- Large pan
- Chef’s knife
- Wooden spoon
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 16 oz. can tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 16 – 20 medium shrimp, peeled & de-veined (4-5 per person)
- 8 oz. whole wheat pasta of choice
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley, fresh chopped
- 3 tablespoons basil, fresh chopped
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
In a large pot, bring three quarts of water to a boil.
Add oil to skillet
Using a large skillet over medium heat, add oil.
Once the oil is warmed add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently until the onions cook down slightly and turn translucent.
Turn heat to low and add in the garlic and cook for another minute or two until the garlic starts to release its aroma. (Be careful not to burn).
Add additional ingredients
Add the tomato puree, tomato paste, chicken broth, oregano, pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper. Stir using a wooden spoon to combine.
Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes or until the sauce begins to boil.
Add the shrimp to the pan and simmer on low. Shrimp will begin to turn pink.
While sauce simmers, cook the pasta according to package directions.
Transfer pasta to sauce
Once pasta is cooked, drain into a colander and transfer immediately to sauce.
Toss pasta into sauce with parsley and basil.
Divide evenly among four plates, top with parmesan cheese and enjoy.