Dinner / Lunch / Seasonal - Winter / Soup
White Beans with Super Greens
Tools You'll Need
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cutting Board
- Chef’s Knife
- Wooden Spoon
- Large Pot or Dutch Oven
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, leaves removed from stems
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ tsp. red-pepper flakes, plus more to taste
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 (15 oz.) cans low-sodium Cannellini (white) beans, rinsed
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan, for serving (optional)
Heat olive oil
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Add onion and thyme
Once the oil is hot, add onion and thyme. Cook, occasionally stirring until tender for about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and red pepper flakes
Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant for about one minute more.
Add the white beans, broth, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
Bring mixture to a boil, turn heat to low, and simmer, until the liquid has reduced six to eight minutes.
Mash some beans with the back of a wooden spoon and stir to help thicken slightly.
Stir in lemon juice
Remove from the heat and stir in lemon zest and juice.
Add the spinach, a handful at a time, stirring it until wilted.
Taste and season
Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Divide among four bowls and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese, if using.