Dinner / Lunch
Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
Tools You'll Need
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cutting Board
- Chef’s Knife
- Large Pot or Skillet
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (90/10)
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup Italian parsley, chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 (12 oz.) box of whole wheat spaghetti
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Heat Olive Oil
In a large pot or skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Sauté Onions and Garlic
Once hot, add the onion and garlic and sauté for 4-5 minutes until they begin to become fragrant.
Add Celery and Carrot
Add in celery and carrot and sauté until all the vegetables have softened for about another 5-8 minutes.
Add Tomato Paste
Add the tomato paste and cook 1-2 minutes till it darkens in color.
Cook Ground Beef
Add the ground beef and cook, frequently stirring, breaking up any large lumps until meat is no longer pink.
Add Tomatoes, Parsley, and Basil
Add the tomatoes, parsley, and basil and cook on medium-low heat until the sauce begins to thicken—about 30 minutes.
Taste and Season
Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Once the sauce is ready, cook pasta according to package instructions.
Reserve Pasta Liquid
When the pasta is just about done, reserve about ½ -1 cup of the cooking liquid
Drain pasta and immediately toss it into the sauce.
Add Pasta Liquid
Add some cooking liquid to the sauce if it seems too thick.
Add Parmesan Cheese
Toss in parmesan cheese and serve.