Stuffed Bell Peppers
Tools You'll Need
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Large skillet
- 9x13" baking dish
- Wooden spoon
- 1 lb. ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 green bell peppers, cored and diced
- 6 bell peppers, any color (remove tops and cores)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce (no sugar added)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup cooked white rice or ½ cup uncooked rice (cooked according to package instructions)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (a little bit more for drizzling)
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Small pinch of chili flakes, optional
Preheat oven (and prepare rice)
Preheat oven to 400°, and in the meantime, cook your rice if necessary.
Sauté onion and diced pepper
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil and cook the onion and pepper until they're soft.
Add in garlic
Add garlic and cook just until fragrant.
Stir in tomato paste
Stir in tomato paste and cook for another minute.
Add in ground beef
Add ground beef and cook through until there is no pink breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Once cooked drain off as much fat as possible.
Combine remaining ingredients
Stir in cooked rice and the tomato sauce, then season with oregano, thyme, chili flakes (if using), salt, and pepper.
Let simmer until liquid has been absorbed by the rice and reduced slightly.
Spoon mixture into peppers and bake
Place peppers in your baking dish and drizzle with oil. Spoon beef mixture into each pepper, then cover the baking dish with foil and bake for about about 35 minutes or until the peppers are tender.
Sprinkle with cheese and broil
Pull off the foil and then sprinkle each pepper with cheese, then bake on high under the broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly (roughly 5 minutes).
Garnish and serve
Garnish with parsley and serve immediately!