Stir Fry Beef with Broccoli
Tools You'll Need
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Wok or large frying pan (preferably cast iron)
- 1½ pounds flank steak, thinly sliced into strips (slice against the grain of the meat)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple or pineapple juice (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, (optional)
- 1 tablespoon canola or corn oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame or canola oil
- Ground pepper to taste
- Kosher salt to taste
- ¼ cup green onion, sliced for garnish (optional)
Place beef in a large bowl and add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, cornstarch, baking soda, and your preferred fruit juice (if you're using it). Mix beef and marinade ingredients together with a wooden spoon or clean hands, and set the bowl aside. Allow ingredients to sit for 5–10 minutes.
In a wok or large frying pan, warm the canola oil over medium heat.
Add in garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes
Add garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes (if you're using them) and cook for about 15 seconds until they begin to get fragrant.
Stir fry beef
Add in beef and begin to stir fry, moving the beef for 1–2 minutes until it's brown.
Add in veggies
Once the beef is seared, add onions and broccoli. Cook for an additional 1–2 minutes until onions begin to soften.
Top with sesame oil and soy sauce
Add in sesame oil and soy sauce, continuing to stir fry till broccoli begins to turn bright green. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan so the garlic and ginger don't burn!
Garnish and serve
Garnish with sliced green onions if you prefer to use them. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot along with your favorite rice!