Virtual Resources for Media Outlets
The Y is a powerful association of men, women, and children of all ages and walks of life joined together by a shared passion: to strengthen the foundations of community. With a commitment to nurturing the potential of kids, promoting healthy living, and fostering a sense of social responsibility the Y ensures that every individual has access to the essentials needed to learn, grow, and thrive.
To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build a healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
At the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Every day, we work side-by-side with our neighbors to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn and grow.
The Y is the nation’s leading nonprofit committed to strengthening communities through Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility.
- Youth Development — Nurturing the potential of every child and teen.
- Nine million youth are taking a greater interest in learning; making smarter life choices; and cultivating the values, skills, and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, the pursuit of higher education, and goal achievement.
- Healthy Living — Improving the nation’s health and well-being.
- Millions of adults and youth receive the support, guidance, and resources needed to achieve better health and well-being.
- Social Responsibility — Giving back and providing support to our neighbors.
- Across the country, the Y helps people give back and assist their neighbors by offering them opportunities to volunteer, advocate, and support programs that strengthen the community.
The Y’s logo has changed quite a bit since 1881, and the Y’s new visual system reflects our true identity: a caring, people-oriented organization that is devoted to the cause of strengthening communities. Our refreshed logo, for instance, is bold, active, and welcoming, suggesting our determined commitment to social progress. Plus, many colors reflect the vibrancy and diversity of our communities and activities.
The YMCA of Central Florida is one of the area’s largest nonprofits, serving hundreds of thousands of Central Floridians per year through a focus on Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility. With a Christian-based mission to improve lives and communities, it operates YMCA locations across six counties. This mission is expanded beyond the four walls of the Y through community-based programs to combat chronic disease, boost children’s out-of-school safety with before- and after-school enrichment, and strengthen neighborhoods.
- The Y is a leading nonprofit organization for Youth Development, Healthy Living, and Social Responsibility.
- The Y is a powerful association of men, women, and children committed to bringing about lasting personal and social change.
- The Y engages 9 million youth and 13 million adults each year in the U.S.
- Worldwide, the Y serves more than 45 million people in 119 countries. Ys across the U.S. play an integral role in strengthening the leadership and youth programs of the Y around the world.
- Members, staff, and volunteers of the Y include men, women, and children of all ages and from all walks of life.
- The Y offers programs, services and initiatives focused on youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility, according to the unique needs of the communities it engages.
- The Y is accessible to all people. Financial assistance is offered to individuals and families who cannot afford a membership.
- The Y is guided by four core values: caring, honesty, respect, responsibility, and faith.
For more than 35 years, Dan Wilcox has been steadfast in his dedication to strengthening diverse communities and improving lives across the United States as a professional in the YMCA, one of the largest nonprofit organizations in the nation. Currently, Dan serves as the President and CEO for the YMCA of Central Florida, an association comprised of multiple family centers and offsite program locations spanning Orange, Seminole, Osceola, Lake, Marion, and Brevard Counties. Under his leadership, the lives of hundreds of thousands of neighbors of all ages and backgrounds are improved annually through the Y’s innovative collaborations and partnerships, along with dedicated support from tens of thousands of volunteers, donors, community leaders, and staff.
Dan first joined the YMCA of Central Florida in 1998 as Chief Operating Officer and oversaw transformational growth before rising to lead as President and CEO in 2014. Prior to joining the YMCA of Central Florida, Dan developed valuable leadership and community-building expertise as he progressed from a part-time role at the YMCA of Northern Rock County in Janesville, Wisconsin, to roles of increasing responsibility and scope at the YMCA of Greater Houston in Texas, and the YMCA of Greater Charlotte in North Carolina.
Dan has a heart and passion for advancing the Y’s mission and helping people reach their highest potential in spirit, mind, and body through the Y’s services and programs. As such, he has forged strong, community-wide relationships and strategic partnerships with major hospital systems, school districts, governments, businesses, faith-based organizations, donors, and foundations, all aiding in the Y’s effort to address the varied and evolving needs of the Central Florida community.
Dan contributes as a key community builder and thought leader at the local, state, and national levels. He serves on the Orange County Mayor’s Economic Recovery Taskforce, Vice-Chair for the Florida State Alliance of YMCAs, and as a board member for Dr. Phillips Charities. In addition, Dan also recently served on the YMCA of the USA’s Strategic Planning Committee and Nationwide Membership Taskforce.
Dan and his wife Mary have enjoyed calling Central Florida home for over two decades, where they have raised their two sons and now are proud grandparents to three grandchildren.
LOGOS AND AREAS OF IMPACT
- Frank DeLuca YMCA Announces Grand Opening Celebration for New Outdoor SportsplexOCALA, Fla. (September 15, 2021) To continue strengthening the Ocala community in spirit, mind, and body, the Frank DeLuca YMCA Family Center is delighted to unveil a new Sportsplex on Wednesday, September 15, making it the Y’s largest outdoor expansion to date. This innovative new concept fills a community need […]
- Roper YMCA Hosts 2021 Virtual Healthy Living ExpoFree Community Event to Nurture Your Spirit, Mind, and Body WINTER GARDEN, Fla. – (August 31, 2021) The Roper YMCA will be hosting a Virtual Healthy Living Expo throughout the month of September sharing different ways to nurture your spirit, mind, and body. This year, the virtual expo will offer […]
- YMCA of Central Florida Announces Kevin Bolding as New President & CEOORLANDO, Fla. – (June 22, 2021) After an extensive nationwide search, the YMCA of Central Florida’s Metro Board of Directors selected President and CEO of the YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh Kevin Bolding to succeed Dan Wilcox, who announced earlier this year his upcoming retirement after nearly 40 years leading the […]
- The YMCA of Central Florida President & CEO Dan Wilcox Announces Retirement After 38-Year Career at the YMCAORLANDO, Fla. – (February 3, 2021) The YMCA of Central Florida announced today that Dan Wilcox, President and CEO of the nonprofit organization since 2014, will retire at the end of 2021 following a rewarding 38-year career at the YMCA. “Little could I have imagined when I signed up as […]
- The YMCA of Central Florida Sends Invitation to Entire Central Florida Community to RESTART Your Health and Wellness Routine for 2021ORLANDO, Fla. – (January 30, 2021) The YMCA of Central Florida is launching the Better Us Challenge, a free health and wellness challenge that is open and available for the entire Central Florida community. The Better Us Challenge will run three times a year, and each challenge will have a different […]
Do you have a media inquiry? Get in touch with our team.