Rigatoni with Chicken and Red Pepper Sauce
Tools You'll Need
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Instant Read Thermometer
- Cutting Board
- Chef’s Knife
- Sauté Pan
- Large Pot
- Serving Bowl
- Food Processor
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 jar (12 oz.) roasted red peppers, drained and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken stock
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 lb. whole-wheat rigatoni
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons basil, freshly chopped
Preheat grill to medium-high.
Season chicken with salt and pepper.
Place chicken on the grill and cook until an instant-read thermometer reads 165º.
Remove and cover
Remove from grill and cover with aluminum foil.
While chicken is cooking, heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
Sauté onion and garlic
Sauté onion and garlic until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add red pepper flakes and red peppers
Add red pepper flakes and roasted peppers, and cook until heated through.
Remove from heat
Remove pan from heat and let cool slightly.
Place in food processor
Place pepper mixture in the bowl of a food processor with the chicken stock and parmesan cheese. Process until combined and smooth, about 30 seconds.
Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and place in a serving bowl.
Pour sauce and toss
Pour sauce over pasta and toss until pasta is fully coated.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Slice chicken and place on top of pasta.
Garnish and serve
Garnish with freshly chopped basil and additional parmesan if desired, and serve immediately.