Breakfast / Dessert
Cranberry Orange Bread Pudding
Tools You'll Need
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium saucepan
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Blender for vegan substitution
- Blender for vegan subsitution 9x13 or 9x9 Baking dish
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Zest of one orange
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ stick unsalted butter at room temperature, plus 1 tablespoon for greasing
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 5–6 cups challah or brioche, cut into 2-inch cubes (about ½ loaf)
- 3 room temperature eggs, beaten
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
Heat oven to 350º.
Warm milk, cream, orange zest, orange juice, butter, vanilla, sugar, and salt in a saucepan over low-heat.
Vegan option: Add the coconut milk, sugar, tofu, cornstarch, orange zest, orange juice, vegan butter, vanilla, sugar, and salt. to a blender and blend until smooth. (It might look a little speckly but won't be noticeable once it's baked.) Continue back to step 6.
Cook and set aside
Cook until butter is melted. Set aside to cool.
Prepare bread cubes
While milk mixture is cooling, butter a glass or ceramic baking dish and fill with cubed bread.
Add eggs to cooled mixture
Slowly add eggs to the cooled milk mixture and whisk; pour mixture over bread.
Sprinkle cranberries over the top. (Substitute additional add-ins here.)
Place dish in oven and bake for 30–45 minutes, or until custard is set. It should still be a little wobbly, and edges of bread have browned.
Garnish and serve
Sprinkle top with powdered sugar and serve warm or at room temperature.