Appetizers / Sides
Grilled Zucchini Caprese
Tools You'll Need
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Chef’s knife
- Cutting board
- Grill or grill pan
- Baking dish
- Tongs for grilling
- Serving platter
- 3 medium zucchinis, cut lengthwise (leaving stem end and bottom intact)
- 6 vine ripened tomatoes, sliced about ½" thick
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced about ¼" thick
- 1 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil + extra for drizzle at the end
- Balsamic vinegar or glaze for drizzle (optional)
- Kosher salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Preheat grill or pan
Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
Toss zucchini in oil, salt, and pepper
Place zucchini in a large baking dish, toss with olive oil, and liberally season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Prepare tomatoes and cheese
Lay the tomatoes and cheese out on a large cutting board, baking sheet, or clean kitchen counter. Sprinkle each piece with salt and pepper on both sides.
Place zucchini cut side down on the preheated grill and cook until a sharp paring knife pierces the skin easily, roughly 3–5 minutes per side.
Layer tomatoes and cheese on grilled zucchini
Remove the zucchini from the grill and transfer it to a serving platter. With the cut side of the zucchini facing up, top each half with mozzarella cheese and sliced tomatoes in an overlapping pattern.
Serve or store
Just before serving, top with basil then drizzle with olive oil and balsamic. If you plan to enjoy this dish tomorrow, save the basil, oil, and balsamic for after the Caprese has reached room temperature.*