Salad / Seasonal - Summer
Summer Salad (Salad Niçoise)
Tools You'll Need
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Chef’s Knife
- Cutting Board
- Mixing Bowl
- Mason Jar
- ½ lb. fingerling or other small potato
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest and Juice of 1 lemon
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ lb. string beans, tips and strings trimmed, cut in half
- 8 oz. cherry or grape tomato, sliced in half
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 cup niçoise or kalamata olives
- 4 hard boiled eggs, quartered
- 2 cans of tuna, packed in oil, drained
Place the potatoes in a saucepan, cover with cool water, and bring the water to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and boil gently for 25 to 35 minutes until the potatoes are tender but still firm when pierced with a fork. Drain into a colander and set aside to cool.
While the potatoes are cooking, make the dressing. In a mason jar or a large bowl, combine the mustard, garlic, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper.
If using a mason jar, place on lid and shake well until mixed if using a bowl whisk until it comes together.
Taste and season
Taste and adjust seasoning. Set aside.
Bring the 1½ cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan.
Add the beans, cover, and boil over high heat for 1 to 3 minutes until just tender.
Drain and cool beans
Drain into a colander and run under cold water for a few seconds to stop the cooking and preserve the bright green color. Set aside.
Once potatoes are cooled, cut them in half.
Using a large mixing bowl, toss together beans, potatoes, tomato, onion, and olives with 1-2 tablespoons of your dressing.
Dress and serve
Place on a large serving platter and top with eggs and the drained tuna. Drizzle some more dressing on top and serve family style.