Tools You'll Need
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large pot
- Cutting board
- Chef's knife
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red bell peppers, diced
- ½ medium Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1½ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups medium-grain rice
Heat vegetable oil
Place a large pot over medium heat and add vegetable oil.
Add veggies to pot
Once the oil is hot, add in the onion and peppers. Cook until the veggies have softened slightly, then season with salt and pepper.
Mix in additional seasonings
Add curry powder, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, bay leaves, and ground ginger and stir to coat vegetables.
Stir in liquid ingredients
Stir in the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, and vegetable broth. Bring mixture to a boil.
Add rice to pot
Add rice and stir to combine, then reduce the heat to low.
Cook for half an hour
Cover pot and let everything cook until the rice is al dente (about 30–35 minutes).
Scoop onto your plate and serve immediately!