Tools You'll Need
- 6–8 quart Stock Pot or Dutch Oven
- Cutting Board
- Chef’s Knife
- Vegetable Peeler
- Measuring Spoons
- Slotted Spoon
- Fine Mesh Strainer
- Large Pot
- 1 3-4lb whole chicken or bone in, skin on parts (including: legs, thighs, breasts)
- 2 large onions, cut in quarters (skin on)
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 8 oz. egg noodles, or your favorite pasta (optional)
- 1 handful fresh parsley, leaves and stems
- 1 handful fresh dill, leaves and stems
Place all ingredients, except noodles, into a 6–8 quart stock pot or Dutch oven.
Add water to the pot, enough to cover the ingredients.
Place pot on stovetop over high heat and bring to a boil.
Using a slotted spoon, skim off any fat or impurities that rise to the top.
Once water has come to a boil, reduce heat to a slow simmer and cook uncovered for 3-4 hours. Occasionally, skim off any excess fat or impurities that rise to the top.
After 3-4 hours, use a ladle to remove liquid and strain into another pot.
Remove chicken from the pot, remove meat from the bone, and remove skin.
Chop or shred chicken, and add to the stock you strained into the other pot.
If using noodles, cook according to package instructions.
Serve hot in a bowl along with noodles and some chopped dill and parsley for garnish.