More than 300 guests, community partners, and members of the Dr. Phillips community gathered on the front lawn of the Dr. Phillips YMCA to celebrate the $9.5 million expansion and renovation of the Dr. P. Phillips YMCA. The celebration, which took place on Wednesday, November 5, was filled with warm reflections from community members, who shared how the Y has positively impacted their lives over the past 30 years.
David Knight, board chairmen at the Dr. Phillips YMCA, opened the ceremony with highlights from previous expansions and renovations since its inception in 1983.
Prior expansions and renovations made to the Dr. Phillips YMCA include:
- To meet the needs of the growing Dr. Phillips community, the Y expanded for the first time in 1993, adding more square footage to the existing facility.
- In 2000, the Y expanded to include a Teen Center to support programming for middle school and high school students.
- In 2007, the Y received a $2.7 million capital improvement, which included additional square footage and updates to the facility.
- In 2008, a zero-depth swimming pool was added to improve family programming and accessibility for all.
- In 2009, the wellness floor received a major renovation, adding additional square footage and updated equipment. This renovation also included a new child development center, lobby, additional parking, additional restrooms on the soccer fields, and updates to the men’s and women’s locker rooms.
Karen Frenier, President of Dr. P. Phillips Hospital, explained that a partnership with the YMCA and Weight Watchers helped their employees lose over five tons. Currently the Dr. P. Phillips Y serves as an outpatient rehabilitation center, making therapy more accessible to local patients. The expansion will add private consultation rooms for therapy sessions with health care providers from Orlando Health.
Several Dr. Phillips YMCA board members were recognized for their financial contribution to the expansion. Collectively members from the local board donated $264,500 capital improvement funding and $1.8 million in an endowment.
Jim Ferber, President & CEO of the YMCA of Central Florida, thanked Dr. Phillips Charites for their ongoing partnership over the past two decades. The expansion would not be possible without the Dr. Phillips Charities $9 million gift.
The new expansion will include the following:
- Two new group exercise studios, providing more than 125 fitness class options, including Strength Training, Kickboxing, Zumba, Yoga, Latin Cardio, Body Ballet, and more!
- Enlarged spin room with new bikes and the latest technology, increasing capacity and providing more opportunities for strength training and conditioning.
- Expanded lobby and new meeting areas for community members to come together, socialize and unite for a common cause.
- New updated equipment outfitted with mobile electronic features to help healthy seekers track and personalize their wellness journey.
- New child development center with additional programming – providing a convenient, safe environment for kids, while parents work on staying healthy.
- The expansion will also include an all-new teen zone – providing enrichment and career development support for maturing young adults.
- Two new racquetball courts – providing an alternate option for cardio training, competition and comradery.
- Private health consultation rooms for patients to meet with Orlando Health physicians and providers.
Visit the Dr. P. Phillips YMCA Facebook page for more updates on the expansion of the facility.