An Exciting New Learning Environment
Balancing working from home and keeping kids on track with school assignments is difficult, but the thought of going to work and leaving your child at home to complete the virtual school day can be just as pressing. During this challenging time of at-home education, we’re providing academic support through our innovative program: Learning Labs!
The Learning Labs will provide full-day, in-person support for children ages 5–12 participating in Orange County Public Schools (OCPS) virtual learning program. Our YMCA Learning Coaches will make sure students stay connected to their virtual classrooms and complete their daily assignments and assist students as needed. Learning Coaches will also deliver the Y’s holistic Youth Development curriculum during activity breaks as well as at the start and end of each day.
Your child must be registered each Friday prior to Monday attendance to ensure the Y’s ability to adequately prepare a quality experience. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. Waitlists will be maintained and managed once program capacity has been met.
This progressive education program is available at the South Orlando Y.
- Students have a safe, wifi-enabled environment to connect to their online classrooms and other virtual platforms. There will also be in-person education and technical support.
- Our engaging Y staff will lead fun activities during breaks during the school day! Students will get their choice of art, reading, movement, and more.
- Designated lunchtimes and activity breaks away from their computer help ensure students are fully focused during their virtual learning sessions.
- There’s a variety of exciting before and after school activities that include swimming, music, cooking, and games!
- Families can feel safe with their children in a healthy environment that follows all CDC guidelines including temperature checks for staff and kids, masks for staff and kids when unable to be socially distant, frequent cleaning, and much more.
Arrival and Choice Activity Centers
Club Experience (enrichment activities)
Community Time (social activities)
|9:00 am – 3:00 pm||
Distance Learning Sessions (built-in breaks for fun activities) and Lunch
Community Time and Snack
Club Experience / Swim / Gym
Since March, we’ve served hundreds of children through distance learning, essential worker childcare, and Day Camp. The Y has developed and practiced extensive protocols related to following CDC guidelines and creating a healthy environment.
- Contactless health screens take place during daily drop-off and pick-up while parents stay in their cars.
- Enhanced cleaning takes place throughout the day as well as overnight.
- Children will stay in their designated group with the same Learning Coaches throughout the day.
- Children will be encouraged to wash their hands throughout the day, and sanitation stations will be available to disinfect surfaces.
- Children are required to wear masks upon arrival and when social distancing cannot be maintained. Children need to bring their own mask.