What the Y is Doing
The safety of all our participants is our top priority. To ensure the health and safety of all students and family members, the following protocols will be in place for conducting swim lessons.
- Upon arrival, Y staff will ask participants standard wellness questions and swimmers will undergo a temperature check. Individuals with a temperature above 100º must go home and can only return after being fever-free for 72 hours.
- YMCA instructors will undergo a temperature check upon entering the facility and will wear face masks where appropriate.
- Swim instructors will coach from the deck when it can be safely done for Swim Strokes group lessons.
- Swim instructors will properly disinfect surfaces between lessons, and ensure that any shared surfaces or areas are sanitized between students.
- The Y will allow adequate time between lessons such that only one family is in the facility or area at a time for Private Swim Lessons.
- The Y will stagger lesson start times to minimize traffic in the hallways, family locker rooms, and on the pool deck.
Each of our family centers has safety measures in place based on guidance by the CDC to ensure we provide everyone who enters our YMCAs a safe environment.
Before the Lesson
- We ask that only one adult per student attends the swim lesson. YMCA staff will designate an area where any parents and accompanying siblings can safely sit.
- Please arrive no more than five minutes before your lesson time.
- Please ensure swim students are fully dressed in swim attire upon arrival.
During the Lesson
- Instructors will keep participants at a minimum of arm’s length away while teaching hands-on skills (floating, gliding etc.).
- Instructors will maintain a minimum distance of six feet from any other instructors or anyone else in or around the pool.
- Parents and guardians must also follow physical distancing, including sitting a minimum of six feet away from the edge of the pool.
- Parents and guardians must wear a face mask at all times while in the building, where local mask mandates apply.
After the Lesson
- Once your swim lesson is complete, please exit the pool area as soon as possible to allow for additional lessons that may follow.
- Please don’t change children out of swim clothes and/or diapers on the pool deck. Use of appropriate locker rooms and/or changing areas is permitted.
- Parents and guardians shouldn’t wring out swim diapers in the pool or around the deck area.
- Any disposable swim diapers, diapers, or any other trash should be placed in a bag and taken home by the parent.
Requirements are based on local city, county, and state orders.